No announcement yet.

things that may prevent clutch adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note that the Haynes manual has INCORRECT clutch adjustment instructions. Follow the Red Book.

Comment

yes- be vary wary of any critical information in the Haynes books no matter what you are riding.
      Back to velo clutches- I did experience increasing play at the handlebar lever- managed to get home by taking the slack out of the cable.
      Turned out to be the locking ring loosening - you really have to stake these well to keep them in place.

Comment

Yes Rob, that big thin lock ring is an issue. Trouble is with a lot of machines this ring will have been replaced a few times and the previous 'staking' may have rendered the last thread useless, and there are precious few threads left to hold that big bearing. With my KSS 'box I luckily got an oversize ring, (the shell was a bit 'overstaked') and got a mate with a CNC machine to cut a new thread in the shell to suit. It's a pretty hairy job though I can assure you, -there ain't much material there to play with! I think maybe I'll take a look behind the clutch to see if I need to stake it some more.

Comment

I think the real answer would be to re_machine the shell to take a left hand threaded locking ring. This will eliminate the tendency to loosen. The other challenge is to make up a wrench that would allow you to properly tighten the ring- Most folks (me included), just do what is convenient in the heat of battle and that is bang away with a punch to tighten then hope the staking will hold things in place.

Comment

Yes but the problem remains that there is precious little room - in diameter - to machine. You can take very little material away because you risk breaking into one of the holes (for the pushrod I think but can't remember exactly). Agree LH would be good. And well... get a bigger 'ammer!

Comment

Working...
            X