Hidden Clutch cable adjuster position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Clutch cable adjuster position

The clutch cable midway adjuster was designed so that the midway adjuster was under the tank, and therefore couldn't be easily accessed.
    Apparently Velocette found that if it was easily accessible, instead of going through the correct 'red-book' adjustment procedure, owners would use this adjuster as a short-cut, resulting in damage to the thrust bearing,
    I think some aftermarket cables were made with this adjuster just above the gearbox.
    Last edited by joolstacho; 01-17-2020, 10:35 PM.

Admitting my ignorance .... but why did Velocette even bother with the " midway " adjuster ?..... I have no clutch, or cables fitted yet, so those issues are some way down the road !.

Comment

I have a feeling that it was as much to take account of manufacturing / assembly tolerances as anything else. The design of the Velo clutch is such that there just ain't any room for error.
      That's why the Red Book gives such exacting instructions for adjustment. But you can imagine in the factory, with all the minor dimensional variations of parts, that the guys would setup the thrust bearing and plate slippage to suit, and then just tweak up that midway adjuster to ensure cable freeplay was just right. 3/16" I think? Others more recently have other ideas though, with possible variations, particularly if it's a Thruxton clutch.
      To re-iterate, this clutch is like no other. You can't just adjust the cable to compensate for a worn release pushrod like a Matchy or something! A whole World of pain awaits if you do this!

Comment

An adjuster is definitely necessary as Joules explained-Manufacturing tolerances plus subsequent wear and tear on the plates. I think Velocette was trying to ensure that only people that had read and understood the Red Book should adjust the clutch( i.e Velo dealers). Hopefully the remaining enthusiast owners have bothered to invest in the book.
        In that case any type of easily accessed adjuster will do. Dodkin and Seymour all sold Clutch cables with the adjuster positioned just above the gearbox.
        If all attempts to adjust the clutch to the correct performance fail then something usually needs replacing or fixing.

Comment

It seems that owning a Velocette is an exercise in masochism !.... once more I show my ignorance of things Velo..... what is the much revered " RED BOOK " ?....I'm assuming Factory manual ?

Comment

The Velo clutch is second only to the Vincent clutch in it's idocyncracy and level of frustration inducement!!

Comment

Yep, Red Book = owner's manual.

Comment

Thanks joolstacho .... need to find one those !.

Comment

Here is a re-print,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velocette...kAAOSwAaJaD~va

Comment

Thanks for the link Singlething.

Comment

While you're at it Limey-boy, the 'greybook' or 'bluebook' (depending on your ocular attenuation) is indispensable... it's the parts manual for RS machines. Oooh look, there it is... an original too! From the same seller.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velocette...QAAOSwYjRd8WjN

Comment

Thanks for that link joolstacho..... I'll be contacting that seller when I get off here.
                        Got an e-mail from my friend in Melbourne .... her son's home was severely damaged by a huge hail storm ..... huge storm / huge hail ..... he lives not far outside of Melbourne ...hope that you did not suffer any damage.

Comment

Ordered both books ..... thanks for the links .

Comment

So, both books arrived today .... the parts book is a vintage 1961 publication .... in good shape too, The Service manual is a new re -print ....interestingly the Velocette address is given as Meriden, Coventry ??...did they move from hall Green prior to the demise ?

Comment

I'd guess that Meriden address would be Matt Holder's outfit. Last I heard David Holder runs it now. (?) Holder bought much of the Velocette stock, machinery, trademarks etc, when Velo closed.
                              (Meriden was Triumph's home of course as well).

Comment

Working...
                              X