Torque values .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque values .

I have not been able to find torque values for the head / cylinder bolts ....Venom model .... nothing in my shop manual !, does anyone have information ...or point me in the right direction, please.

I'm sure that the Velocette factory had never encountered such a thing as a torque wrench!
    Their scale would have been something like:
    Nipped up firm
    Tight
    Very tight
    Boody tight
    ****in' tight

Anyway, your wish is my command, because Uncle Norm says:
    Tension the 3/8'" stud nuts to 22-25 ftlbs, the 5/16" nuts to 18 ftlbs
    The nuts MUST be the correct ones as stocked by the Club and probably Groves.
    Fit stud -o-ring seals underneath head stud nuts. Earlier heads need to be countersunk 45degrees to take the o-rings. (Later heads will have this out of the factory).
    Max torque on rocker box bolts is 14.5 ftlbs
    Hollow oil bolts max torque 10 ftlbs

There are another few little important things Uncle Norm refers to in Norm's Technicalities. I wouldn't build an engine without it!

Comment

Super joolstacho !.... spot on, where would I find Norms Technicalities ?
      Thanks !.
      Hope that you are safe from fires and storms !

Comment

Limeyrider, If you're a member of your local Velocette Club, they might stock it. If not, it's available from the Australian Club. Leave it with me and I'll check with Charlie the spares officer to see if he'll send a copy to you (USA right?) They might only sell to club members, if that's the case I'll get one and send it on to you. Price is pretty cheap at about $12 Oz.
        (I'll buzz him in a few hours. (Can't just phone 'Charlie' anytime as he's a shift-worker and gets snakey if you wake him!)

Yep, safe for now thanks mate, some of the places that were burning a few weeks ago are now flooded! Crazy climate.

Comment

Good on ya mate ! ... yea, don't mess with the shift worker .... been there done that !.

Glad that all is well now .....wild climate here too .... 70 deg.F in February ! ... tornado last week !

Comment

Charlie can only sell to members of the Australian Club, he reckons other Clubs should be able to supply it, But if you can't get it over there let me know and I'll send you one.
            (If anyone else, from nations far and wide, wants a copy let me know- but try your local Club first, to save on postage!).

Comment

Thanks joolstacho ....I'll try the US Velo Club, there is no "local " club ... I joined the " Mother " Club in the UK .... maybe they have the book.

Update .... the US ( West coast ) club does not have any .... they suggested I try the Australian club ..... if we have a PM page ?.... I can shoot you my address, dunno 'bout payment methods ?.... cheque / post office money order .... trip to Oz with cash in hand ..... 'er, is the Message centre a PM page ???

Comment

The UK Club used to give new members a copy, but obviously not now. Maybe try them first, postage would be cheaper, but if no joy there,
                just hit my user name and it opens message centre, message me there, give me your address. I'll order a copy for you.

Comment

I'll give the UK " Mother " club a try .... thanks.

Comment

Joolstacho... you mention cylinder head stud "O" rings .... do you have a part number available for those, please ?...... none of the engine diagrams that I have looked at list those pieces ??

Comment

Mate, I don't think there will be a part number as such, these o-rings came about A.F. (After Factory !).
                      It was a 'user mod' that the factory adopted in the final year - so prob won't appear in any 'list'.
                      It was found that oil would seep down the studs, so o-rings were fitted around the studs. The head needed simple 45 deg counterbore machining for the o-rings. Simple, you could do that with your drill.
                      I can't remember the size, but as long as it was a tight fit around the studs and there was a little counterbore for the o-ring to squeeze into, that'd do it.

Sorry, I've had a major HD crash here... trying to get up and running with a 'new' 10 year old MAC!

Comment

Mate just give us a hoi if you want me to send you a copy of Norm's Technicalities

Comment

Thanks joolstacho .... my head has the 45 deg. counterbores already cut in, I'll scout around for the "O" rings . As for Norms Techincalities .... I've not heard back from the UK club yet ???.... maybe flooded out !.

Comment

Working...
                          X