Indian Velocette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Velocette

I noticed on 'another place' someone putting up a Wanted ad for an Indian Velocette.
    As 'Lannis' replied, these Clymer/Tartarini (Italjet) assembled jobbies are getting very rare now, most being in museums. But it got me thinking... if by some stroke of luck you had a VM engine and a gearbox, it wouldn't be too hard to knock up a facsimile.
    Because most of the running gear is familiar and not too rare... Marzocchi suspension, wheels and brakes as used on various 70's Italian bikes such as 450 Desmo Ducatis. They wouldn't be TOO difficult to find.
    Frame? Makeable for someone with the knowledge? Yes, a big job but quite do-able I would have thought ...

(I thought I saw one of our members has one, but can't track the pic down now).

I restored an indian velo a few years back - The finished result was very nice on the road, modern suspension , good brakes etc.
    However, the original method of placing the velo eng gearbox into the italian chassis was really poor.
    Very soft aluminium front eng plates and crude aluminium blocks attached the original velo rear engine engine to the frame.
    Tartarini received the velo eng /gearbox and oil tank as an assembly.
    To make the oil tank fit into the frame they chopped either side of the oil tank to match the opening in the right rear sub frame.
    The worst thing here was that the oil tank ,now of reduced capacity ,was located a couple of inches from the engine.
    Problem was tartarini's crew just stretched the oil pipes under the gearbox reducing the pipe effective id.
    Too much trouble to put longer lines on I guess. I doubt the big end appreciated any of this.

Comment

• joolstacho
      joolstacho commented
      Editing a comment
      Fascinating insights Rob. Thanks.

It's intriguing to imagine what could have been. Whilst it would never have competed against the brilliant Japanese things that were hitting the dealerships back then in the 70's, but imagine a unit construction VM, with well sealed unit alloy PCC housing an alternator and a more 'foolproof' clutch. A cylinder encapsulating the pushrod tube. Maybe an Orpin style frame with Ceriani forks. An electric leg even ! (Am I talking a quicker, better Indian Enfield? Oh no! Well, I might get back out to the workshop and fiddle with the Suzi! )

Comment

I seem to recal that someone did a limited run of Indian Velo reps about 20 year ago, maybe?

Comment

Have a Indian VMT and I think it's a v very nice bike, maybe better (and more relaxed) than my 67 Thruxton.........

Comment

• joolstacho
          joolstacho commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful mate.

On ebay as we speak :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDIAN-VE...oAAOSwtfhYraBW

Comment

• joolstacho
          joolstacho commented
          Editing a comment
          Eeeek! Tha's a heap o' foldin' in Aussie money!!!! S'pose I could mortgage the house... Mary! Mary, here's what we're going to do...
          (Response I leave to your imagination).

Yeah, it is an unfortunate fact of life that classic bike prices are now insane. A personal example, recently, I found it necessary to dispose of 2 MZ 250's. A TS250 and a TS250 Supa 5. The TS250 was as rough as hell, engine blown but with a good spare, partially dismantled etc. The Supa 5 was a runner when put into storage but had suffered thereof, so needed plenty of TLC. I put both on gumtree at what I thought were fair prices for their respective states, but was unprepared for the response I had! My phone didn't stop ringing, with buyers actually offering me MORE than I was asking, actually, considerably more! The guy that bought the TS drove 3 hours to collect THAT day and begged me not to sell it to anyone else before he arrived! The Supa 5 buyer paid me by paypal during his call to buy it, then sent 'his man' to collect the following day! I was sincerely embarrassed by the prices they sold for, given my opinion of their condition, but the buyers were throwing money at me! OK, we're not talking mega money in comparison to what a Vincent, or a Brough go for these days, but mad for MZ's, as much as I love 'em! But when a Fizzy can fetch £6K at auction then I suppose anything is possible!

Comment

Working...
        X